Tuesday, August 28, 2012

'merica!!

I recently read a post by writer Mark Manson titled "10 Things Most Americans Don't Know About America". In it Mark talks about how other people view American Culture and how far off most of our perceptions are about those views. To quote him specifically:
"Remember that immature girl in high school, who every little thing that happened to her meant that someone either hated her or was obsessed with her; who thought every teacher who ever gave her a bad grade was being totally unfair and everything good that happened to her was because of how amazing she was? Yeah, we’re that immature high school girl."
As I read this I couldn't help but think how right he is and how it really shouldn't come as a shock to us that people outside the U.S. really don't care at all for the most part. I mean, I was walking through Tops Markets this morning and right smack in the middle of the bakery was an enormous display of bulk Halloween candy.....on August 28th....



...Halloween is over two months away! Children don't even start school in this country for another week and we're already throwing Halloween at them? I'm really surprised that Walmart hasn't just developed a concept store where every department represents a different holiday. They could even theme it after "The Nightmare Before Christmas" with the different doors for each holiday in the middle of the forest...and when they checked out, Oogie Boogie could be there to shove them into a drain pipe leading to his lair and their ultimate demise....I feel I've gotten off track here.

I guess I just wanted to vent some frustrations with my own country and just add to the endless pool of evidence proving what the rest of the world already knows...that we are the immature high school girl of the world. Maybe someday we'll grow up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think this all the time! Hence why I consider moving to London or Africa or maybe just Canada or something.

Love you friend! I like reading your bloooogs