Thursday, August 30, 2012

It's a '78

I don't have much to report today as I spent the majority of it sitting around the apartment. I kind of felt bad considering the weather was perfect. Low humidity, blues skies, temperature in the mid 70s. Today is "Throwback Thursday" on Instagram so I decided to do something different. Rather than posting an old photo I decided to take a photo of my "throwback" motorcycle. My 1978 Suzuki GS750. 



It was my dad's pride and joy from the day he bought it new. Almost completely original, the only thing new on her is the seat cover and the battery and I NEVER remember her EVER being dirty. That bike was (and still is) spotless.

 Now, by the time I was old enough to drive my father had already purchased a new bike (1999 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1500) so it was no surprise that he would eventually give the Suzuki to me. So for the past eight years it's been in my care. It is now MY pride and joy. It still makes me smile when I see people stop to take at look at it and then again when they say to me, "That's the best looking '78 I've seen in a long time!". I'll usually call my Dad and tell him when that happens and I can almost feel the pride erupting from him through the phone. That bike has always been a strong glue between us, and I hope that never changes. I still remember my Dad setting my sister and I on the gas tank in front of him and giving us rides around the back yard when we were barely three years old (see photo below). And now here I am over twenty years later still riding that machine...man how time passes...




No comments: