Sunday, September 28, 2008

kids reveal the darndest things...

I'm trying to move all of my work to this blog so this is one that I wrote some time ago on my myspace blog. enjoi.


Go listen to 'Sea Breeze' by Tyrone Wells while reading this. It's what I was listening to while writing it. (www.myspace.com/tyronewells)

"These eyes have seen the most beautiful dream."

Why is it that everytime I find something that makes me happy it's at the most in-opportune time in my life. Just seems to be in the cards lately.

I'm ready to get back to school and be with other people who are ambitious about life and wondering what the next phase of their life is going to be. I'm tired of surrounding myself with people who all seem to know exactly what they want in life or know exactly where they're going and just wanna rub it in everyone elses faces.

I don't know what i wanna do with my life. In all seriousness I wanna grow up to be a kid. I've said it before but it's true. Nothing would make me happier than to be in a position where all I had to worry about was making my bed or eating my vegetables to make people happy.

Truth is that can't happen.

I guess that's why I continue to work with kids. They make me see the world from a completely different point of view. One that used to be so colorful and vibrant to me. A world where everyone was the same and if they weren't a simple question was all that was necessary to clear up any confusion. They don't know what calculus is, or what the square root of 144 is, or how many presidents were impeached.

To them this world is a great place to be in because they can wake up one day and be a power ranger or a firefighter or a doctor or a football player for their dad's favorite team.

For the first time in 5 years it's hit me why I choose to work for the youth bureau for a summer theatre program... because I get to teach kids how to be whatever they want in a setting where no one will critcize them for that. A place where people actually want to see them be whatever they want and be happy with that.

Life is too short to try and be the best you can be at something that you only think someone else wants you to be. So why not try and be something greater? Be something other than just an average person on the street. Make yourself into something that people will stop and take notice of. It's your life, why the hell not?

Go out there and make people believe that greatness can be found in anyone so long as they know how to pretend, because sometimes, if you try hard enough, whatever it is that you're pretending to be, just might be what you really are on the inside. And a great deal of the time, that's who you really are in the first place.

I'm gonna miss you kids... It's been a great ride. Thank you... for teaching me how to stay young... stay true... and most of all, stay me.

No comments: